Arkansas Treasure Hunters Club

www.arkansastreasurehunters.com

Forums

Forum Home > GENERAL METAL DETECTING: > Burns Park

Blue414
Limited Member

Im in the process of researching the history of burns park and its founders. Wondering if there is anyone who might have a bit of information they would like to share and kick around the possibilites of some possibe GOOD sopts. Have any of you had any bad experiences in the park. I always like to ask for the bad side so I know that the goos stuff is coming afterward.

In my sights is the second heilman residence

A 1900's school house

and the location of troops from 1900-1915

If your interested in just joining in to see whats in the dirt then pass me your number be glad to meetchya. Blue 501-425-1089

April 24, 2014 at 10:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

WyDiablo
Administrator

Is that residence your talking about in Burns Park? The man in our club that probably has th emost ecperience in the park id Dale Harris. He knows a lot about that area. And can tell you more about the do's and don'ts of the place. I think this is still his e-mail addrss.

adhdigger@aol.com

--

April 24, 2014 at 5:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Blue414
Limited Member

Yes it is. It's actually the second home for the family. After the death of her husband the widow (cant recall name) had the second house built. Ill contact Dale and see what I can Learn. Thanks for the information

April 25, 2014 at 9:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dogtowndigger

Don't want to rain on your parade but I was talking to a person who works for the parks department a few months ago and was informed that metal detecting in any form has been banned within the park.  It has to do with safety issues resulting from the discovery of some old unexploded ordinance left over from the days when the park was part of Camp Robinson.

He didn't seem too interested in hearing any opposing opinions so I just let it go.  

If you are able to get special permission to hunt I would certainly be interested in helping you.

Good luck

Larry

April 26, 2014 at 9:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jerry Hill

Sounds like an area that has a lot of history.  I sure would be interested in getting in on a hunt.  Just let me know how I can help.  jhill2103@gmail.com.

--

Jerry Hill

April 28, 2014 at 9:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John
I got the same word concerning no detecting, they were unable to find the ordinance on this, but they told me if a person is caught they would be asked to stop or leave.
April 28, 2014 at 2:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Blue414
Limited Member

Ok now it's getting interesting. I was out this weekend with the boys and was deteting around the playground on the hilltop above the visitors center. One of the gents I was speaking to siad there is a fellow who comes arround every so often around the ball park. This guy said he worked for the park and said he never knew of any issues concering detecting.

On the other note of the origional homestead. i have GZ narrowed down to a few houses just north of the park boundry. Now im into an area where I have never been. how the heck do you approach a land owner and beg to respectfull look for relics on their property. The TV show american diggers just keeps coming to mind. Advice ANYONE.

Know this I know im a newbie to this club but I hope that is just a short lived title. If I find a GZ to search ya'll better come a running cause im gonna need some help. Ill locate the pull tabs and pop tops then yall show me the real digs. lol

April 29, 2014 at 12:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

WyDiablo
Administrator

Approach the land owner and tell him who you are and where you live. Tell him about the metal detecting hobby and maybe show him some finds of some of your good stuff. Tell him that you if you dig any trash that you will remove it from his property and that you will treat him and his property with respect just like your own property. Maybe even give hm a few of you finds that you dig from his property.

--

April 29, 2014 at 7:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Blue414
Limited Member

WyDiablo at April 29, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Approach the land owner and tell him who you are and where you live. Tell him about the metal detecting hobby and maybe show him some finds of some of your good stuff. Tell him that you if you dig any trash that you will remove it from his property and that you will treat him and his property with respect just like your own property. Maybe even give hm a few of you finds that you dig from his property.

Thats good sound advice. I guess you could call it first time jitters. Im just hoping this will be a plesant experiance and im super excited to have a GZ with a tie to my towns history. hope to meet several of ya'll in the near future. Take care all.

May 5, 2014 at 3:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John
I spoke to the super for burns park at length to get the "official word". Maybe the workers have a different feeling. -I have pretty good success at getting permission. I just introduce myself and pretty much get to the point. Sometimes joking and small talk helps. I can usually get 100% success detecting around businesses. Usually when I get no from a residence they also give me a reason why. I have an old property where the lady would only allow me to detect the sidewalk. I noticed that she had a bunch of wood carving bees so I'm going to make some traps to give her and see if this is the push I need to get in.
May 8, 2014 at 12:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

rockinrandy

Was also told no.  Would like to though.  For history, you might check with NLR History Comm.

May 14, 2014 at 10:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John

I peaked in with the history commission last year. Sandra Smith over there is very helpful and she gave me some history. She is interested in metal detecting, but I am not sure how much influence she really has. 

May 14, 2014 at 6:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Blue414
Limited Member

I have had to put most things on the back burner with family and everything going on.  This may sound crazy (guess Im just the trusting type) If anyone wants to take on the research of locating the second homested for the heilman family or the where abouts of the 1920''s school house that was at the entrance (in general) to the park please drop me an email and I'll do my best to try and find time to talk to you.  I'm in the process of trying to get my own busness off the ground and its taking all my time.  I still hope to meet several of you in the new future.  Happy hunting all and god bless

May 18, 2014 at 8:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

WyDiablo
Administrator

Is the homestead and the school house on Burns Park property?

--

May 18, 2014 at 10:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Blue414
Limited Member

The homestead im Feeling is going to be on private property and I have the GENERAL area figured out. As far as the school house its pretty mucjh a toss up as to weather it will fall on private land or park property

May 27, 2014 at 3:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.